Saturday, January 21, 2012

Mid-life Crysis


Being a console gamer, I never got to play Crysis. I read about it, and how you had to have a computer from the distant future to run it, and while on the outside I looked unimpressed and would even go so far as to scoff at the very mention of the Cry Engine, on the inside I was a raging inferno of jealousy. I wanted to play Crysis, I needed to play Crysis, but eventually I made my peace with the fact that I would never play it. I simply have no desire to become a PC gamer, and it had been said a million times over that there was no way a console version could ever be done.

But then Crysis 2 came out, and there were rumors that it was just as awesome as Crysis, if not better, and that a console port was a possibility. I don't think I have to tell you that once again I got caught up in a bit of Crysis fever. However, I was in a bit of a conundrum. See, I have a little problem. I'm a bit of a completist when it comes to franchises, be they movie, video game, or whatever. I can not stand to have a sequel of any kind if I don't have the original. So I held out on Crysis 2, because if I couldn't play Crysis, I was never really going to be able to enjoy it the way I wanted to.


Fast forward a few months, and what should show up on the Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN for $20? Yep, the original Crysis. I'm finally getting to play it. I also went ahead and bought a copy of Crysis 2, which I have laying in wait for when I finish the first one. So far I am loving it. I knew it would be good, but I didn't know it would be this good. It's also absolutely gorgeous and this is almost 5 years after it was originally released. Impressive that a game that old can look just as good, if not better, than some things that are coming out today. I'm still only a couple of hours into it, as I'm juggling play time with a couple of other things, but if it continues to get better I can see myself putting other games on the backburner until I've finished both Crysis games.

I'm pretty close to the midway point of my life, and I'm playing Crysis...I'm having my first mid-life Crysis, and it's every bit as good as I thought it would be.

No comments: